One good thing about oil is that it makes cooking so easy and yes the food so yummy. One bad thing about oil is that 1 tsp has 40 calories and it does load food with calories.
The other day I was talking to my sister and she informed me that as my BIL has lost weight and is heads on in his weight loss project, he just eats little poha for breakfast, poha being his favorite. My question was Why did he gave it up?? She said, poha requires lot of oil and only then it tastes good.
In my house also I have seen oil being poured and the potatoes and onions being fried in it and the poha tasting so good.
If you check the fact file of poha, then the real taste come from mustard, potato and onions done well and most importantly poha soaked and done to perfection.
Its been a very long time I have made poha in 2 tsp of oil and have always loved the taste. The only hurdle being cooking potatoes in less oil, it takes more time. You can go ahead and try this version on gas, it takes time but comes out beautifully. Microwave version is far quicker and tastes awesome too.
So here are the steps.
1. In a microwaveable bowl. Take 2 tsp of oil, add in mustard seed, cover the lid and microwave for 40 seconds.
2. Add in the cut potatoes, onions, green chilles and Kadi patta. Mix well the mixtures so that the oil and mustard seeds cover the onions and potatoes nicely. Cover the lid and microwave for 3 minutes, take out the bowl, turn again the mixture in the bowl with the spoon. Microwave again for 2 minutes.
3. Wash poha under running water (or the way you always do it). Add the turmeric, salt, little sugar. Add this poha mixture to the microwave bowl. Mix well so that the potatoes, onions and poha and nicely mixed.
4. Microwave for 2 minutes.
5. Garnish with Green Coriander.
6. Eat with a small size spoon.
To me it tastes awesome and trying would not hurt. May be like me you will also like the taste.
Its a healthy, filling breakfast and I see no reason to give it up.