One good thing that happened with weight loss was the change in my attitude towards food. I have started greatly appreciating lightly cooked whole some meal.
One such meal is brown fried rice. The veggies are cooked in less oil, they are crisp that is they are not over cooked and they retain their natural flavor. Moreover no strong spices are involved in this dish. I find it really satisfying not to forget tasty also.
I try to put as much veggies as possible. So please feel free top add what you like to add other than what is mentioned below.
1. 2 fist brown rice : Cook as per the instruction on the packet. I wash it and keep it to boil with sufficient amount of water. I do not drain the starch in this rice. I cook it the normal way by covering the pot with the lid.
2. Garlic - 5-6.
3. 1 medium size onion, chopped.
4. 1 medium size capsicum, chopped.
5. 1 small carrot, chopped.
6. Cabbage, finely shredded. I handful.
7. Spinach - I use frozen spinach here but you can use the fresh one. Just blanch it and make a puree. Make sure the puree is thick and not very watery. We just require a very little amount here. 1/4 bunch of spinach is fine enough.
8. Sweet corn - 1 handful.
9. Paneer - 1 handful.
10. Black pepper - 1/4 tsp. We just require sprinkle it all over the rice.
11. Salt to taste.
12. Oregano - 1/2 tsp (optional)
13. 1 tsp olive/vegetable oil.
1. Heat the oil in the pan.
2. Add in garlic. Just saute it for few second, make sure not to burn it.
3. Add in the onions. Saute till they become brown.
4. Add in capsicum, carrot, corns, cabbage. Now saute till they are half cooked.
5. Add the paneer and spinach. Keep cooking till the veggies are cooked and crisp. It take 4 -5 minutes. You need to saute the vegetables on high flame.
6. Add in the rice and mix well.
7. Add the salt, pepper and oregano and mix well.
8. Serve in a plate and eat with a small spoon.
The idea here is to have lots of saute vegetable with moderate amount of rice.
Do You Know - Brown rice has the bran intact and it has more fiber than white rice. One cup of brown rice has 3 1/2 grams of fiber while the same amount of white rice has less than one gram of fiber. We all need from 25 to 38 grams of fiber in our diet everyday.
Brown rice also contains nutrients like magnesium, manganese, and zinc. White rice has reduced levels of these nutrients. [source: http://nutrition.about.com]