Thursday, April 7, 2011

Navratri Special - Low cal Vrat Roties

Before I go on to give a detailed recipe, I need to tell you this story, which I read in a newspaper.

Once upon a time there was a woman who made a perfect spaghetti dish which was very famous in the town, the secret of the dish was the it was boiled in a big size vessel. No other size vessel can be used but the one mentioned in the recipe. The recipe was handed down from her great grandmother. When asked about this recipe the woman's mother said that she has made it just way her mom told her. When asked, the woman's grandmother said she prepared it just the way her mom prepared.

So, finally the question was asked to great grandmother who said "What secret??? I ran out of the right size vessel so used the biggest one available."

Ever since I can remember, I always made these roties with potato and arabi. To knead the dough a nice amount of boiled potato or arabi was needed. I made as my mom and my MIL made, never questioned. The reason why they used such binding agents because the kotu, sinhgada flour is very difficult to knead and breaks easily.

They did not made roties but either made parathas or puries, so one can imagine the fat and calorie content of this humble plain roti.

The amount of carbs always bother me during navratri fast and to top of it consumption of potato to knead the flour, was too much to digest.

So much to my husband's horror and my delight I ended up making vrat roties without kneading the dough with boiled potatoes or arabi and they turned out just fine.

The roties are made like normal roties and we have taken out the potato, arabi and lots ghee out of them and I see no reason why you cannot eat it like a wholesome meal of roti and sabji.


Ingredients:

1. 1 cup equally mixed kottu, sinhgada and rajgira flour (if you do not have all three use the one you have. I usually mix sinhgada flour to kotu or rajgira to get a firm texture.)


2. 3 tbspn thick curd (make sure its not sour)

3. Salt to taste

4. 2 tbsp water (if needed)

Procedure.

1. Start my adding the salt and then the curd
and mix well in the flour. Try to bind the flour as much as possible.






3. Add 1 tbsp water and keep kneading. If the dough is firm ready then its done else add 1 tablespoon water again and knead.

The trick to know if the dough is ready is to check the form of the dough, if its not ready it will break else it will bind together smoothly. Lastly, grease your hand with little oil and knead well to give the finishing touch.
Make sure that its firm.




4. Now, roll the roti. You need to roll and immediately transfer on the tawa.









5. Serve hot.



Weight loss is not about giving up food, its about eating the same food with almost the same taste but with less calories.

3 comments:

  1. You have done an innovative job with the oily puri! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for finding a tasty alternative to the high calorie puri.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Preety,

    Thanks for liking the recipe.

    regards

    ReplyDelete

Your comments motivate me to write, please do leave one.