Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Post Pregnancy Weight Loss - 2


Few Suggestions and Recipes from my side

1. Listen to your hunger - If you are really hungry then you will eat a simple meal of roti and sabji, if you find yourself wanting to eat only fried food then its not hunger.

2. Nutritive meals - Make your meals as nutritive as possible with small or moderate amounts of fat.

3. Quick Meals - Keep easy quick meals in your fridge. I always have sprouts which I steam in microwave. It just takes 5 minutes. I can then prepare sprouts sabji, add them to my bhel or just have them with lemon and cucumber. They are healthy and take care of hunger very well.

4. Easy Tiffins - I used to carry paneer-peas stuffed grilled parathas whenever I was out shopping. As a new mom my body did demand food and if I did not carry a tiffin with me I always ended up eating lot of junk food. Stuffed parathas are easy to prepare and are mess free.

5. Vegetable daliya khichadi - This always works for weight loss and is very healthy too.

Ingredients

A) 2 tablespoon daliya/broken wheat + 2 tablepoon split green mung dhal.

B) 1 tsp ajwain/carom seeds.

C)1 tsp til seeds

D) Grated ginger

E) Finely chopped carrot and french beans (or any vegetable of your choice).

D) Salt to taste

Procedure - Pressure cook all ingredients with water to make khichadi. Consistency should not be very thick or runny.

I used to eat 1 big bowl of this khichadi with my sabji, dhal, raita and salad. Khichadi was just a replacement of roti. It really fills the stomach.



6. Vegetable roties

A) 1 cup wheat flour

B) 1/2 tsp ajwain/carom seeds.

C)1 tsp til seeds.

D) 1- 2 tablespoon finely chopped coriander.

E) 2 tsp grated ginger (you can add more if you like)

F) 1 grated carrot (or 1 cup grated cabbage)

G) Salt (optional)

Procedure

Make a soft dough using milk if possible and make roties.

These roties are extremely flavorful. You can have them with your meals or enjoy them with your tea in evening.













7) Multi seeds roti - I have now started adding flax seeds, onion seeds and til seeds in my plain roti flour. They are nutritive and add flavor to a simple humble roti.

8)Multi grain roti - These roties are not very soft, they are chewy and I like them this way. You can mix and match bajra, jawar, sattu, soya, ragi flour. I also add oats to make roti flour.

9) Salad works - I was not a salad person before but now they are a must have in my meals. I cannot have salad before meals, I like to eat it between my meals along with my roti and sabji.

10) Lovely Thalis - A bought myself a big thali with separate sections. The idea is to fill it up to have a complete meal and its easier to wash too.

The first two thali have stuffed raw papaya roties and the third one has a multi seed roti.











11) Planning- We all know that if we fail to plan then we plan to fail. Its very important to have a road map. You know what are your boundaries, your constraints and your priorities, so plan within your limits to achieve your goal. Just running head first towards weight loss will not achieve anything, so plan your diet and exercise according to your taste and convenience.

 I have jotted down everything that I can think of right now that worked towards my post pregnancy weight loss. Please remember, that I am not an expert and my diet is based on what I am comfortable with. The diets mentioned in the post are sample diets i.e the things that I remember eating, I tend to eat every 2 hours (it can be a cucumber or a carrot or a fruit), I eat alot but I stick to healthier options.

Remember, the weight loss journey as always will be very frustrating and extremely disappointing but it will make you do things that you would have never done, it will teach you not accept things you do not like, it will force you not to bow down before things that you do not want. It will make you look beyond yourself to see what you are made of and to achieve what you always wanted to be.

21 comments:

  1. Hi Shiva,

    Wonderful insights for pregnant women like me..as i mentioned earlier, I am now finishing my first trimester and hav lost 2 kgs and stand at 67.8 kg.. I just limit myself to 2.5kms walk everyday n eating healthy..i shall follow ur insights to get back to shape..thanks again dear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bigmommybigaims,

      Thanks for liking the blog post. Heartiest congratulations to you :).

      Lots of love

      regards

      Shiva

      Delete
  2. Lovely Post... I open your blog every 2-3 days to see if there is any new post. Me and my husband has started our own version of weight loss diet. It seems to be working now. He does not like to eat a lot of normal food and instead like eating more of fruits. But I know surviving only on fruits is not good for health. I am mixing a matching fruits and vegetables and lentil soup and normal soups with vegetable wraps for us. He is liking it and it is helping us lose weight too. My weight fluctuates a lot, It went suddenly up to 91 Kg on Sunday inspite of me eating only home cooked low oil food. I will check again on Sunday to see the changes. Thanks for keeping me motivated. Hope I can bug you if I am frustrated. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Upasana,

      Thanks for liking the post. Weight fluctuations can be due to bloating. It happens with me too specially when my periods are approaching. The best way to analyze your weight is to monitor it every week and then see how much loss happened it one month.

      Feel free to bug me anytime :).

      Lots of love

      regards

      Shiva

      Delete
  3. Another awesome post Shiva!!! Simply loved it...would be great if you could tell me how u make lauki raita..i dont like raw bottlegourd taste at all, though i know its very healthy eaten raw..
    thank you so much for your in-depth analysis on weight loss ...it helps us readers a lot..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Pragnya Naik,

      Thanks for liking the blog post.

      Here is the method to make lauki raita.

      1. Make sure to take a tender and soft bottle gourd. Peel and cut into small fine pieces. Boil in enough water till lauki is cooked. Let it cool.

      2. Whisk some curd and add the lauki pieces along with the water. Mix well.

      3. Add salt, red chilli powder according to taste.

      4.You can also add little dried mint to make it more flavorful.

      Lots of love

      regards

      Shiva

      Delete
  4. Dear Shiva, jst came across your blog by chance, its really good. Even i m looking forward to weight loss but the issue with me is however hard i try i am unable to shed weight. i m 40/f and weight is 100 kgs :( dont know what to do. i walk for 45 mins in the morning and 45 mins in the evening and most of the time i eat proper normal ghar ka khana. not much oily and fatty. i m working woman. otherwise i m very active but this weight issue is depressing me. i have no medical issues at the moment. Can u guide me ???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Shiva , jst came across your blog by chance and i must congratulate you for the good deed you are doing. I need your guidance too. I m working female , 40 and weight 100 kgs :( . i walk for 45 mins in the morning and 45 mins in evening and eat usually home made food but dont know the reason of this weight. I m fairly active and have tried almost everything for weight loss but nothing happening. hope you can give me some ideas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear A.S

      Thanks for your appreciation and a warm welcome to my blog.

      1. I hope you got your thyroid levels checked. Weight gain in spite of healthy lifestyle should be investigated.

      2.Make sure that you are not under estimating your calorie intake. Its very important to have a proper idea about how much calories you are consuming. If possible do consult a dietitian to help you figure out your daily calorie consumption.

      3. Check out Sugar's blog here - http://wheresugarwrites.blogspot.com/. She started at 100 kilos and now weigh around 77 kilos, you can get some pointers from her too because your and hers starting weight is the same.

      Be patient and do not quit. Accept the fact that weight loss will not happen it one day, not even in few days or few months. Give yourself one year and commit yourself to the weight loss project.

      All the very best to you. In case of any doubts do feel free to write to me.

      Lots of love

      regards

      Shiva

      Delete
  6. Dear Shiva, another informative and lovely post of yours! Thanks a lot. Your point #1 is the one I need to follow. Good thing, i do, sometimes. Lots of love to you and your little bundle of joy. Shehnaz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Shehnaz,

      Thanks for liking the blog post buddy. I am sure you will definitely work towards point#1.

      Lots of love

      regards

      Shiva

      Delete
  7. Hi Shiva,

    Having very little success with weight loss i chanced upon your blog. Your blog gave me a very new perspective for weight loss. Thanks to you i started at 81Kg in late december and today i weigh around 74Kg.

    A big thanks to you. And my hearty congratulation on your little bundle of joy :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Dhivya,

      You made me very happy with this comment. I always feel extremely happy when a reader says that my blog played a role in their weight loss journey. You have lost considerable amount of weight, congrats.

      Lots and lots of love to you.

      regards

      Shiva

      Delete
  8. Hi Shiva,
    Iam nimmmi(IL). Was searching for your blog and atlast found it too. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Nirmala,

    Welcome to my blog outside IL. Its nice to see you here.

    Lots of love

    regards

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is sabudana khichdi with low oil,no peanuts and lots of vegies better substitute than daliya khichdi made with lots if veggues.kindly help me to clear the doubt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Harneet,

      Sabudana is nothing but starch and starch sits on all the unwanted places on our body. If you like sabudana then have it occasionally as a treat but not daily. Dailya khichadi is healthy and a better option than Sabudana

      Delete
  11. Hey Shiva, I dont know where my New Year Wishes to you has gone.
    Wishing you and your family, especially the little one a very very Happy, Healthy, Prosperous and safe New Year . Take care and looking forward to your posts..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Darling SoulSearchingDays,

      Thanks a ton for such lovely wishes. A very happy new year to you and your family. God bless you and may all your dreams come true.

      Lots of love and hugs

      Shiva

      Delete
  12. Hi,
    I have just started my weightloss journey post pregnancy, when i was looking for inspiration online I came across your blog! I keep coming back to it whenever I feel am slipping from my trail. Would love to hear more from you esp after almost a year!! Your story is inspiring and very motivation, keep writing!! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi RG,

      Happy to know that you like my blog. Gosh!! Its been a year since I posted, time does fly. I will surely try to write soon.

      Thanks for such wonderful and kind words.

      God bless.

      regards

      Delete

Your comments motivate me to write, please do leave one.