The food that we eat during fast is high in carbs. Moreover, the goodies are usually fried. I remembered having crisp fried potato chip, sabudana vadas, fried peanuts, Sihgada bhajiyas, puries and what not. The food is tasty and thats what bring the fun in fasting :) (atleast for me).
I do not fast but my husband does. He keeps all the Navratri fasts and one big challenge that I face is to manage his diet during these days.
Its easy to say that stay on fruits. But when you are out in sun and working then fruits are not enough to sustain one self.
Agreed that food eating during this period is high in carbs but you can actually save calories by cooking the same thing in less oil and opting for a balanced meal. Staying only fruits is not something I agree upon.
I will be putting up recipes during these days. I hope they help you in some way.
You can check microwave sabudana khichadi here
Microwave Sabudana Khichadi
The recipe that I am going to mention now is made from Samwat rice or "vrat waale chawal". This rice is eaten during fasts.
1. 1/2 or 1 bowl samvat rice
2. Curd as per the need.
4. 2 tsp oil.
5. 1 tsp mustard seeds.
6. Green chilies as per taste.
7. 1 tablespoon grated coconut (optional).
8. Finely chopped cabbage.
9. Curry leaves.
1. Its same like the way we make rawa idlies.
Soak the rice in curd for 2 hours. The reason why I did not write the quantity of curd is because you need to adjust it according to your batter consistency. SO start by adding 2 tsp and mix well. Then again add more.
The batter should be like idli batter, neither too thick nor too runny.
2. Just before steaming the idlies add the salt and arrange the idlies in the steamer. Steam for 15 minutes.
They just come off easily when they are cooked, you can also emerge a knife in the idli to check, if the knife comes out clean then the idlies are ready.
3. In a pan, take oil and add mustard seeds. When they crackle, add curry leaves and slit green chillies. Then add cabbage and stir fry till the cabbage is cooked. Add coconut, mix well and then add salt. Remember, salt should be added after the cabbage is cooked. Then Add the idlies, mix well and serve hot.
I try to put in lots of cabbage, its one of the ways to eat this lovely vegetable. The taste of this dish is fresh and crisp.
In case you want to carry it for lunch to your office, all you have to do is soak it overnight but keep the batter in the fridge.