Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Weeks to Weight loss

Most part of my life I attempted to lose weight and with every attempt I failed, with every failure I got confused and I became sure of the fact that I will never lose weight.

After trying endlessly for many years there came a point where I gave up and accepted that I am fat and will be fat always. When you accept then you become what you accepted.

There were times when I wanted to attempt weight loss but had no idea how to start it and how to continue it with success. There were endless diets and suggestions flowing from everywhere, any random person thought it was a great idea to give me advise on losing weight. But the problem was I was not the person others wanted me to be neither was I the person who could give up food and stick to a strict diet. I was me, simply lazy, like it or hate it but that was who I was and I was not willing to change.

I did try following few diets and I gave them up in 1 - 2 days max, I could not bring myself to live a life where I had to give up a complete food group.

After long years of struggle, the most sensible thing that I did was to work my way to weight loss according to my likes and dislikes and my choices of food to eat and to stay away from. My life, my control and absolutely my call.

Lot of diets ask to say NO to dairy but I cannot imagine my day starting without tea, its not that I cannot give it up but more importantly I don't want to give it up. I was very firm of the fact that I am not going to give up food groups that I like, I have one life to live and I would like to enjoy it with food.

I did make adjustments and negotiations and opted for healthier versions of my favorite dishes. I finally found a way of life where I neither felt hungry nor deprived.

So if you are confused how to start your weight loss OR have given up on weight loss try these week by week pointers, they worked for me, may be they will work for you. Trying is free of cost and it won't hurt.

Week 1 - Detoxifying - I always cringed at the word detox diet because it meant giving up on most of the food that you eat and worse it might even suggest that you go on only fruits for a week. I never was good with any detox diet BUT I have my own version of detox diet and mind you its damn difficult as well.

In the detoxifying week you have to say NO to any kind of junk food. You will have to say No to biscuits, fried namkeen, fried food, chaats, outside restaurant food and of course sweets. What you get to eat is your home cooked meals, have your roties, daal, sabji, rice, bread sandwich. We all know the obvious culprits called as junk food, just say NO to them.

Sounds simple, its not. There will be always that one biscuit that you will end up eating OR a handful of namkeen that you will be tempted to eat OR a piece of cake from someone from office OR a big weekend party.

Staying away from high calorie food is a very difficult task because even if we want to stay away we are surrounded by a society which will hunt us down and make use eat what want to avoid.

How do you prepare for the week - Most of the time we are aware of the life schedules. For example I always know there will be some party on its way every alternate weekend. So its best to prepare yourself in advance. Don't store junk food in your house, give that piece of cake to someone else and if there is a party eat dinner at home and keep drinking lots of water at the party, so that your stomach is full and you are not tempted to eat the food. During the party nibble on small amounts.

Think about it, most diets ask you to give up food that is part of your daily basic diet, here you get to eat your home cooked food, all you have to do is stay away from the food that even you know is bad for you and your weight loss.

If you slip - Its ok just don't repeat your mistake and continue with your plan.

Weigh yourself at the end of this week. Depending on how much junk food you used to eat you will see the changes in your weight. Even if there is no change, your body will get over the addiction of eating that
"something fried and yummy ". This week will teach you how much you are addicted to junk.

Mantra of the Week - Eat Healthy.

Week 2 - Starting the diet - I met someone recently who told me that her diet and appetite is not much BUT she is unable to lose any weight. I know this person and I know she eats normal portion size but still weight gain was there. She went to the kitchen to prepare some yummy upma for me and herself. When I went inside the kitchen I could see the onions and potatoes being nicely fried, I took the cooking utensil and drained the remaining oil in a separate katori, to my horror there was half katori of oil in that upma for just 2 of us. And thats where the culprit hid, her sabji, her breakfast are all drenched with oil.

1 tsp oil is 120 calories, imagine how much calories she was adding to her meals.

So be aware of your oil. I make my dishes in less oil, there is no pouring of oil instead I measure and use 2 tsp. Food does taste good with less oil, all you have to do is give less oil cooking a chance.

Also in this week you will have to give chance to Salads, Soups and healthy Raitas. When I say soup I mean a big bowl of any lentil. Get creative with your plate and try to eat as healthy as possible.

This week get introduce to the concept of bulking. Salads and soups bulk up your meals and you feel full with less amount and less calorie food.











Start with smart switches, for example its a known fact that rice does lead to weight gain So if you are fond of eating rice, start with alternate day plan of having rice one day and roties the next day and don't forget to bulk up your plate with salad and soup bowl.

Mantra of the Week - Beware of Oil and bulk up your food.

Week 3 - Opting for smart carbs - Vegetarians do tend to eat more of carbs and I don't see it going away from my diet. The best way to cut down on carbs is to make smart choices like, opting for multi grain roties and opting for daliya instead of rice.

There are few typical dishes like daal, rajma, chole which I love to eat with rice. I decided to follow once a week rice schedule in my house. So I ate all those dishes with daliya (broken/cracked wheat), I liked the taste. Once my sister saw my strange combination of daliya with one of my favorite dishes and she asked "How does it taste?? How can you eat this". I told her to taste and see herself and she ended up liking the taste.











 Most of the time we don't try because in our head we convince ourselves that certain food combinations will only work. So get adventurous, think about it, if you start liking daliya, rice threat will be over for life.

Week 4 - The cut down -
Portion size does play a role in weight loss and this week you should train yourself to eat smaller meals. I eat smaller lunch and people comment "How can you eat so less?", the thing is I eat again in next 2-3 hours.

Try a lunch plate of 1 multigrain roti, sabji, daal and salad and you will certainly feel full. After 2-3 hours have a bowl of salad or fruits. By following smaller meals every 2-3 hours you will feel full and satisfied, there will be no breaking down at the sight of the food.

If you are making these changes in your lifestyle then you will for sure see difference in your weight. You can follow this plan to start your weight loss, once you see the scale moving down you can then think of other ways to get yourself going.

Its important to weigh yourself at the end of each week to understand your progress. Remember, you will not lose all the weight in just 4 weeks, this will just get you started.

Few hard facts of Weight loss

1. Exercise - Yes I know most people hate it but exercise is a must, not only for weight loss but for your health as well. Think of exercises that appeal to you, it can be dancing, swimming, yoga etc. If you cannot do anything then just go for a walk. Walking works wonders. If you cannot go outside for walking make use of your balcony or terrace. Take up something that you will stick to throughout your life.

Exercise is a best ME time, shut your worries, house, kids, husband out of your mind and just move out and dedicate 30 -60 minutes to your body and soul.

2. Cooking - The only downside of weight loss is cooking. I make quick meals but still I have to cook. If you have a cook then train her to make meals according to you else Google up quick low calorie meals. Depending upon how much you like cooking, you can devise a plan to invest the amount of time in kitchen.

3. Craving - Yes cravings will be there. When I started with weight loss I used to avoid any fried food at all cost. I used to tell myself, let me lose so and so amount of weight and then I will enjoy this without guilt. If I really craved for a samosa I would target 1kg weight loss and then would enjoy my craving in moderate amount guilt free.

Never take the kiss of death, that is, never say you are giving something for life. If you are fond of eating some junk food then instead of eating it every alternate day or week come up with a negotiation plan.

Negotiation plans always work, for example, losing 2 kilos and then enjoying dinner at your favorite restaurant. You might have read about negotiation plans in magazines and health books and the truth is THEY WORK.

4. Will I gain back the weight - Stop worrying about gaining the weight back and start losing the weight. I see so many people worrying about weight bouncing back even before they start weight loss. You cannot predict what you have not yet achieved, so stop worrying and start losing.

Leaving you with a short story - Once upon a time there was a little girl who had no friends and who always failed in her class. Once her grandmother came to her house and gave the little girl a magical necklace. She told the girl that whenever you want something, just hold the necklace and wish upon it. With the wish you need to have faith in yourself and you have to put in extra effort to make that wish come true. Without the faith and extra effort the magical necklace will not work.

The little girl was sad because no one came to her birthday party, with her birthday around the corner, she wished for lots of friends to come to her party. She started tirelessly making beautiful cards for her classmates and then went with her mother to invite her classmates. This was something she never did before.

Lots of girls turned up on her birthday party and the little girl was very happy. She understood that the magical necklace works for real all she has to do is have faith and put in an extra effort.

She then wished to come first in her class and started putting in extra hours in her studies, slowly she became the topper of her class.

When the little girl grew up she became a well known doctor and when someone asked her how she achieved success in such a young age she replied "I have a magical necklace which gives me everything I wish for, all I have to do is have faith and put in an extra effort in achieving what I desire."

All the little girls out there, you too have the magical necklace and it works with faith in yourself and an extra effort towards your goal.

 

You might also like to read - Starting Project Weight Loss

33 comments:

  1. great post. you really write so well!

    prachi
    http://newnimprovedme.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Prachi,

    Thanks for liking the post and thanks for appreciating my style of writing.

    Lots of love.

    Have a great day ahead.

    regards

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! A great read Shiva... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Shiva,

    good post ya :) you know you are the awesomeest person :) this was a post i needed.. have been slacking off lately due to my stomach related issues:)

    not able to cut down much ya. in fact have started eating rice again. Not much in the weight loss dept too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usual, a super motivating post with such well-planned advise. i really think you should take up some short term course and become a dietitian or health counselor or something !!

    Hugs,
    Ruhi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Shiva,

    This is much more doable than the give up X for two weeks kind of diets that are peddled often. I (weep weep) gave in to a craving today. But I am going to incorporate your lose x kilos and then I can have it rule. Lets see if I can control my craving.

    You are so right! Boy, when you are heavy, everyone and their aunty thinks it is their birth right to give you weight loss advice!

    warm regards,
    WLP

    ReplyDelete
  7. you clear my many doubts in this article.. thanx alot dear you are such a motivational personality...
    please can u clear my one confusion..i try to make food in 2 tsp oil..now i have 5 ppl(mom,bros) in my family... usually i made salan that last for 2 days..
    i just want to know 2tsp of oil seems less for quantity of food..what do u think should i stick to 2tsp of oil or can i count 1 tsp of oil for each person to make salan ??
    thanx :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Gavz,

    Thanks a ton for liking the post.

    Lots of love.

    Have a great day ahead.

    regards

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Sugar,

    Hey when did the stomach issue happened ( I hope I did not miss any of your post).

    Thanks for the appreciation sweet sugar :).

    Lots of love.

    Have a great day ahead.

    regards

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Ruchi,

    Thanks for the appreciation. You know I did try to do a course but found it tad boring :( but in future would definitely try my hand of fitness training.

    Lots of love.

    Have a great day ahead.

    regards

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Weight loss Process,

    With me once even the taxi wala gave the advise to lose weight.

    Whatever you were craving for see if you can try a less oil healthier version at home OR when the craving hits hard just brush you teeth and tongue (it works..sometimes)

    Lots of love.

    Have a great day ahead.

    regards

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Tas Aasad,

    Nice to see you hear from you babes. Thanks a ton for the appreciation.

    I can understand cooking for 5 people in 2 tsp oil can be hard. Thumb of rule is 1 tsp oil per person.

    You can also check zero oil cooking by Nita Mehta, she makes some great thick gravies in no oil and I have tried them as well and they come out great.

    Hope the above helps.

    Lots of love.

    Have a great day ahead.

    regards

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you for this post...I've to loose a LOT of weight and your blog is helping me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Scribby,

    Thanks for liking the post, I am happy to know that in your weight loss journey my blog is also your partner.

    Lots of love.

    Have a great day ahead.

    regards

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Shiva,

    This indeed an awesome post again.... :) loved the 4week challenge... and above all as you said exercise is a must for the weight loss journey... :) the story at the last was real motivator.. :) keep coming up such posts more....

    Wid luv,
    Rajani :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Rajani,

    Thanks a ton for appreciating the post. The story at last is one story that is close to my heart. Ever since I heard it stayed with me.

    Lots of love

    Have a great day ahead.

    regards

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Shiva, Came across our blog a few days back and could not stop reading. Very very inspiring. I just love all the tips and the photos. Taking u as an inspiration I started blogging.
    http://nodieting.wordpress.com/
    Do keep posting.
    I love coming here and reading your posts.

    Swapna

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Swapna,

    Thanks a ton for the appreciation. Girl you just made my day. Thanks again.

    Lots of love

    regards

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  19. For me shiva, you are the little girl and also the grandmother and also the magical necklace... you are truly amazing.. thanks for such good tips and you are inspirational, once again I would as a friend request you to complile your posts and publish a book, I would be the first to buy and recommend it to every one... lots of love.. and hugs..take care..

    ReplyDelete
  20. My Dearest Soul Speak,

    You are so sweet. You have encouraged me to write and publish my work since the start of this blog. Thanks a ton honey for having so much faith in me.

    I would love to get my work published but I rejected it in mind before I could even approach a publisher thinking who would like to read BUT you give me so much hope. I will certainly approach some publishers in near future, who knows someone might show interest in my work.

    Lots of love and blessings to you dear.

    regards

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  21. you and your posts are being missed

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Ruchi,

    Thanks so much for missing me sweety. I am just being plain lazy, will write a post this week, for sure.

    Lots of love to you.

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  23. I recently started my weight loss journey and success stories such as yours really inspire me. I have carb addiction, which I am slowly trying to move away from. I crave white rice, bread, cookies, chips, pies, tarts. I hate fruits and vegetables.

    For me this is going to be the most difficult journey in my life. I am 76 kg at 5 feet 5 inches. I need to lose 16 kg to be at an ideal weight. I joined the gym but have gone only 3 times since I joined.

    But I find time to do some activity every day for at least 30 minutes, like workout DVD, brisk walking in the park, or working out at office gym. I have stopped eating junk food and stock up on nuts, peanut butter, wheat rusk etc for my 6 pm snack. Thank you for inspiring me. I am hoping to see more tips from you to help me in my journey.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Chritina,

    Welcome to my blog. You are already on the right path girl. The trick to weight loss is to find the right path and then walk on it every single day of your life.

    I am happy to know that my blog inspired you.

    All the best for your weight loss journey. I am always there to support you in your weight loss journey.

    Lots of love.

    regards

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Shiva,

    You write so well ,your tips on low cal recipes are so good ur pics inspire me to cook that way :))

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Shiva,

    Thanks for all the recipes and pics love them,i need to lose 5-6kgs and am sure i can do that with all your tips :) keep all these lovely posts coming :))

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear Sangeetha,

    Thanks a ton for liking my writing style, I just love this compliment. Thanks for liking the recipe and pics. All the best for your weight loss journey.

    Have a great day ahead.

    Lots of love.

    regards

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi. I have been working out but I find my stamina is very very low. I tried having fenugreek seeds as one trainer in my gym asked to take that on empty stomach to gain stamina, it didnt' help, could you suggest something that gives you great stamina for working out :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dear Coral,

    Gym training does exhaust the stamina, this is what I do.

    1. I have a banana 15 minutes before workout. It helps me during my cardio.

    2. Eggs help a lot. I try to have egg white sandwiches for breakfast.

    3. Egg is the only animal protein I consume. Sprouts are great plant protein. I include sprout salad daily in my diet.

    4. For building my cardio stamina I stick to one speed for one week and then change the speed the following week. For increasing my weight training stamina, I work on a weight till I am comfortable with it and then increase it.

    These are the point I follow to increase my stamina. Hope they help you too.

    regards

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey Shiva,

    What a great post...you are my hero..(JAI HO)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Esha,

      Thanks a ton for liking my blog post.

      Jai Ho.

      regards

      Shiva

      Delete
  31. Hey Shiva,you inspired me to include daliya in my food intake.
    Thanks a lot....all views for weight loss changed here...........Definitely if tried in a right manner....anyone can loose the extra pound.....


    Regards
    Madhumita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Maddy,

      I am very happy to know that I inspired you to include daliya in your diet. Its very good for weight loss. Anyone can lose weight if they choose to be little patient and less desperate and are also willing to make a lifestyle changes :).

      Lots of love to you.

      regards

      Shiva

      Delete

Your comments motivate me to write, please do leave one.