Saturday, June 12, 2010

Sabudana Vadas

2 days back I was watching the movie Kaatha. It was those nostalgic 1980 movies starring Nasrudin Shah, Dipti Naval and Farukh Sheikh. It had the mumbai I so much love watching, the chals, the people. In one of the scenes, Dipti Naval makes hot sabudana vadas.

Oh my god, its been years literally years since I had those. In fact I never made them in my house fearing the amount of calories they have because they are fried in the oil.

But then, the movie and the nostalgic time brought in the carving and I was dying to have them.

So this is how I made them and they came out to be awesome.

Ingredients:

1. 1 cup sago seeds. Washed and drained, just leave little bit of water for the sago seeds to soak. Leave them over night.

2. 2 medium size potatoes.

3. Handful peanuts, roasted and crushed.

4. 1 tsp sugar.

5. Green chillies finely chopped.

6. Coriander leaves finely chopped.

Procedure.

1. Mix the above ingredients in a nice mixture and make flat patties.



2. In a sandwich maker, put 1 drop oil in all 4 sections. Put the above patties and then apply 1 drop oil on each patty. Spread that 1 drop oil nicely on the patty. Now, close the toaster shut for 5 minutes. Then turn the patty around and then again leave it for 5 minutes.





3. The patties should be crisp and brown.



The first batch took longer time to prepare but the second batch was done quickly.

To be honest it does take time to make sabudana vada like this but its worth the time. The taste is exactly the same and only 2 drop oil per vada (can you beat that).

Bon Apetite!!

10 comments:

  1. Have to try this..i love sabudana vadas tooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Rads

    Do let me know how they came out.

    regrds

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  3. haven't tried much sabudana things but this sounds fun..will try it

    http://weddingonthecards.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sovina

    Thanks for liking the recipe.

    Have a great day ahead.

    regards

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey will try this surely. But tell me , don't you need to cook sabudana seperately first?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Sccribbles,

    The sabudana is starch, so when heated it will get cooked very quickly. The heat of the toaster is enough to cook it. You can do the same on the non stick pan, but the results are better in the sandwich maker.

    Have a great day ahead.

    regards

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Shiva,

    missing your post nowadays as shifting has taken a tole on me..I m missing cooking too and havent worked out since days ..:(

    This is an fantastic idea and will surely try it out:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Anamika,

    Babes I know, you mentioned you just shifted to Hyderabad. So how is the new place?? Just chill and relax. i have been to Hyderabad couple of times and I love it.

    Have a great day ahead.

    regards

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  9. thats a super blog you have going here..

    this recipe is awesome you. I really appreciate the commitment you have in terms of taking good pictures while cooking.

    while I am in the process of losing weight and try new low cal/healthy food ideas everyday, I don't to picture posts :)

    I am blogging about my weight loss journey too . Take a peek. Give me some suggestions as a successful weight loser :), please.

    Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Sugar,

    Welcome to my blog and thanks a ton for liking the blog. I love weight loss blogs and I will be a regular visitor on yours.

    Lots of love to you.

    regards

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete

Your comments motivate me to write, please do leave one.