Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Rajma

For a punjabi his heart lies in his rajma (my husband's lie in it for sure). When we were dating he told me not to learn cooking because he wanted me to learn the Punjabi way to cook the rajma. It took me sometime to get the dish right but till the time I did not get it right, he used to mightly crib.

Imagine the poor guy's horror when I decided to cook it in 2 tsp oil but he could never make the difference out nor will you.

This is one dish that can be made in less oil and you won't even feel the pinch of a difference. It tastes mouthwateringly delicious.

Ingredients:

1. 2 cups rajma - I use more of Kashmiri rajma which are small in size. They give the creamy texture to the dihttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifsh. So in 2 cups rajma, I use 1 and half cup kashmiri variety and half cup long variety. If you cannot get the kashmiri rajma then forget it proceed with the ones you have.

2. 2 medium Size Tomatoes.

3. 5 medium size onions.

4. 1 whole pod garlic.

5. 1 inch ginger.

6. green chili as per your taste.

7. 2 tsp roasted cumin powder.

8. 2 tsp homemade garam masala

9. 1 tsp cumin seeds.

10. 2 tsp crushed kasturi methi (optional)

11. Salt to taste.

12. 1 tea cup (medium size) milk with 2 tsp curd mixed.

13. 2 tsp oil.



Check the recipe of homemade grama masala here

Daal Makhni


Procedure

1. Wash the Rajma thoroughly and soak overnight. Do not drain the water.

2. Now in a pressure cooker pour the rajma and the water they were soaked in. If this water is less then you will need to add more water. Usually the water should be double the quantity as we will be pressure cooking the rajma for longer period of time.

3. Add some salt and pressure cook on medium heat for 10 whistles. After this when the pressure cools off check if the rajma beans are well cooked. If not then you will have to again pressure cook.


4. Grind onions and garlic together and keep aside.

5. Grind ginger, tomatoes and chilli together and keep aside.



6. In a pan put the oil, add cumin seeds when they splutter, add onion paste. Add a pinch of salt and cook till all the water evaporates from the onions.

7. Add the tomato paste and cook till it turn dark brown in color and all water evaporates. If the color does not turn red and the water evaporates then add half cup water and cook till the gravy is thick and red in color.



8. Add the above cooked paste to the rajma, add the cumin powder and garam masala and salt. Pressure cook for 2 whistles. Make sure that the water is enough. Everything is cooked, we are pressure cooking so that the masala seeps in the beans.

9. When the pressure cools off and with the gas switched off, add the milk. Do not pour the milk immediately it will curdle. Add little quantity and mix well then again add little quantity and mix well, do this till you finish the whole cup.


10. Switch on the gas and let it come to a boil, add kasturi methi and switch off after 5 minutes.


Serve hot with paratha or rice.





Enjoy!!!

9 comments:

  1. Hiii..long time since I browsed through your blog. I make rajma almost same way..I don't use the soaking water though to cook it..add fresh water, and I add some whole spices to the rajma while pressure cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Rads,

    Seriously its been a long time. Its nice to know that you cook rajma the same way, I will put some whole spices this time, I am sure its gonna turn out great.

    Thanks for dropping by buddy.

    Have a great day ahead.

    regards

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey sweets!!!

    I made Rajma today and some hoe the bean bought was different then my regular one..taste was quiet different and i didnt enjoy it..beans are so important even in Rajma..I thought all tastes almost the same..:D

    also IL said bye bye to me even when i removed almost all the posts..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anamika,

    Lots of hugs. Yeh different beans changes the taste all together.

    BTW, you do not need any site. Your own website is doing great and look at the number of followers you have.

    Lots of love

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its love of the people around like you which makes blogging a wonderful place..

    hugs to you..i wish we could meet some day..i am sure i will recognize u in one go..:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear ANamika,

    I hope we can meet too. I am gonna recognize you too, though I will stare at your faced. OMG you are so pretty I just check your pics on your blog.

    Seriously, your website rocks on its own and I am a loyal supporter of that website as it has helped me tremendously.

    Love

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummy rajma .... and i agree that this is one of the things that can be easily adapted to low fat cooking.
    i love the kashmiri badarwahi rajma , i always cook this one and have devised another way to make it healthier....will post about that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very happy friendship day to my dear friend ..

    Glad to found a friend like you:)

    Love and HugGGs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Sangeeta,

    Thanks for liking the recipe. I love your recipes and I love your blog. When I first read your blog, I was hooked to it for 2 hours, I digged up all the old posts. BTW, you inspired me to bake my own bread. I am trying to get my hand on it right, once I do so I will come to your post and will send you the pic.

    Thanks for dropping by.

    Have a great day ahead.

    regards

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete

Your comments motivate me to write, please do leave one.