Wednesday, December 29, 2010

And We Stand Tall

I also have a similar blog on a women forum called Indus Ladies. Its a fabulous site where thousands of women connect.

I had an opportunity to interact and know so many women there who decided to fight weight issues in spite of their health problems. If you visit the site you can check the keep fit section and read extra ordinary stories of women who stand up to defy all odds against weight problem.

I would like to end this year by telling the story of 2 amazing ladies (both of them are Indusladies members). Both of them have gone through medical problems and still they stood up to lose weight.

If they can then why can't you

Shanvy

I started at 88kgs,last december, actually i was 84 for the past 4 years before that and my cardiologist was really going beserk when he could not find any problem with my diet and activities. the problem started when a check up of my bone density (because i was complaining of body pain all the time) showed a figure that indicated risk of osteoporosis..and i covered all the risks..bronchitis, surgical menopause, obesity and heart conditions...my gyneac wanted me to start on HRT immediately,but wanted a go from my cardiologist. so when i met him he told me HRT had side effects, and since i am a different case, who can put on weight because of corte-steroids and hormonal (i have steroidal abuse..), that i could easily touch a century soon. he told me very clearly that my heart was working fine, and he did not want to put more strain on it, he said let us try our best to reduce weight, before going for hrt.

he asked me to go to a dietician. i went to the one, he recommended..and she was so rude, that i felt like giving her a piece of my mind. she asked me, you know your bmi, you know what is healthy, and what is not, you know what are your restrictions, and yet you are this obese..i just kept quiet and came back..

that was when i said i have to think about what i am doing wrong. a background check. i was very normal healthy weight at 58kgs when i was married. I was on hormonal injections because of histories of threatened abortions and PID. i was 64 after the first delivery. second was 3 years later, with the same problems, and i was given primolut-n injections twice every week till the end..(which i am told today was the reason for my obesity, and bone weakness, and uterus problems..though my the then gynaec refused to accept and blamed me for going ahead inspite of her explaining all the side effects.) by the time my son was removed 40 days ahead, i had severe problems in my uterus..and i was somewhere at 80kgs. and i was stable at that for almost 8 years. and then i started having problems severe ones..excessive bleeding and i was anaemic landing at below 7 sometimes.. and i had a chronic anemic condition that i could not absorb iron in any form..

fastforward to 2009, i fell down in the kitchen in november, and x-ray showed a mild fracture and ligament tears, and the doctors again told me the risk factors that were hanging over my head.. I started slow and steady..walking and just walking. no gym because of my spinal injury and sciatica that i have.

What did i do.. i reduced rice from my diet (we eat ponni raw rice at home), added more vegetables, lots of hot water, less oil. green tea, no sugar in coffee or tea. and what never happened before, my weighing scaled dipped and i was like wow, this is a great feeling..greens something like 10/12 varieties..every week 3/4 times.

jan 2010 i lost 2.5kgs..and by may 2010 i lost 10 kgs..and i was again having some problems, and when we went for a scan, we found i had 5 stones in my kidney.and i was put on more diet restrictions.. but still i have been working with what i can eat. all the veggies that can be eated during weight loss, like tomato, cucumber, ash guard were a no - no for me, as were some of the greens..

but here i am after losing 15kgs..at 73..and now my cardiologist wants me to learn to maintain my weight before i lose any. he says i should now learn to lose 1 kg and then learn to maintain and then lose again so that my body and mind will learn to maintain.A big thanks to that man who really is so patient when he explains.

so here i am at 73..with a target of 65 that my cardiologist has put for me. he says if i reach 65 i should be fine..and i am aiming this by dec-2011.

The main factor that played a great role are my kids. we stay alone and dh works abroad. with nobody to assist us during my sick phases, my kids were really depressed and upset because of me. and this year my dd writes her 10th and i thought i should not be on her mind all the time..and this weight loss is more a dedication to my husband and my kids..who put up with a lot of my emotional tantrums, depressions.

After six surgeries, a spinal injury along with sciatica, heart condition i say if i am trying and even succeeding to a certain extent, anybody else can.

It is all about fighting against all odds, in something you believe you can do it. it is more about believing in ourselves, and doing something for self, which we forget during the course of our married life, where our priorities change and SELF goes down the table.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kalreth

Before marriage I was thin chick and every one used to give me tips to gain weight.. will you believe me I was 44 kgs(underweight). After my marriage I gained weight and was 54 kgs... happy with my loving DH.

It was then I was diagnosed for psoriatic athritis and I could not walk also..there was swelling in my knees and ankles and I used to hold walls while walking in house as well...MY routine was get into Auto at door steps and land in office and again take an auto from office and land at door steps...All house hold chores my husband used to do..He used to give hot water fomentation on my knees and ankles(We should be happy to have such a understanding and supporting husbands) in the evenings and mornings so that I can sleep..such was the pain..

My medicine dosage so doubled and steroids were given to kill the pain(it was so terrible)..

When I used to walk a bit faster(to catch the bus, later on after 6 months) my legs used to tremble like anything...This condition continued, my medication continued and my weight also correspondingly increased...it was 1.5 years after my diagonises and I was 72 kgs..

Then I was carrying and again the swelling in knees and ankles continued during my pregnancy period and post delivery my weight was 78 kgs...

I started believing that I have to stay fat life long as I can't even walk for 10 min...Here when we start believing something we don't give a try to it as well..I never dared to go ahead and see if walk for 10 min what will be consequences.. Will I able to do it or not...

When I went to this thread and read the posts over here..My mind said let me give a try...when a person like shiva(her original weight 85 kgs) can do it why can't even I give a try to it.

If I can make it, I will loose weight which will be beneficial for my health..anyways there is no loss in trying...I made my mind and started first changing the diet.. reduced oil, nights had soups....

First 2 days I could walk 15 min...though slowly which earlier I felt I can never do it...
1 week I walked only 15 min and controlled my diet and then slowly increased to 20 min..

Now I am walking for 30 min and increased my speed as well.

Believe me now I have gained the confidence and now my heart says "The Day is not far when i can run as well(though slowly)". It is our mind what needs to be said "U can do it.. and all going to be well".

I do this when I feel I can't walk any longer..I say to myself "It is only 2 rounds left out Preethi and it s not a big task...Come on u can do it" and I end up in walking 1 or 2 more rounds during my morning walk.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember, its up to us to give into to our difficulties and be happy the way we are BUT Its also up to us to stand tall against all odds and challenge the life.

If life has the power to throw difficulties at us then its up to us to stand against the life and shout with all our strength "how dare you try to show me down", its up to us to roar and tear the sky, to hit the ground and split it in two. Such is our strength.

In the end the choice is always ours, to stand tall or to fall defeated on the ground.


Original Post can be found on the indusladies website here

8 comments:

  1. I am so inspired by this! End of 2011, you'll be writing about me! I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shiva, Awesome show by these amazing ladies, they had so much physical ailments but still they are so determined in their approach! Thanks to you for bringing it to every body, by the way i am also a memmber of Indusladies and I love this site..it is so helpful.

    And dear have a wonderful,Happy, prosperous and blessed New year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Girl,

    I will be delighted to write about you in my blog. See you going for a run everyday is a pleasure. I still cannot manage to run beyond 7 minutes and you run for 45 minutes straight, thats a very big achievement.

    Lots of love to you.

    regards

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Soul Speak,

    Wow, you are also at IndusLadies. Glad to know that buddy.

    Have a very wonderful and prosperous year ahead SS.

    Lots of love to you.
    regards

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi shiva, have read each n evry post in ur blog, and really find it so inspiring. Have been fat all my life .. but after reading such lovely success stories, I have decided to start my exercise n diet. Well i should say have started since 1st. Thanks for being there for us, your writing n support really helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Newbie,

    Thanks for liking and appreciating my blog.

    I am so glad to hear that you started your weight loss journey as well.

    All the best my friend. Please do write to me if you need any help.

    Have a great day ahead.

    Love

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always inspire us with your posts, Shiva. Keep up the good work :) (BTW, I am still striving to shed the kilos and have reached no where)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear sccribles,

    I am glad you find my work inspiring. Keep trying sccribles, the secret to weight loss is the ability to keep trying even after we keep failing.

    Lots of love to you.

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete

Your comments motivate me to write, please do leave one.