Sunday, December 5, 2010

Roti Pockets

Those of you who have read my blog regularly knows my constant struggle of making my husband eat healthy.

This guy refused point blank to carry a tiffin to his office. He just felt weird eating out of the tiffin and then he hated to manage the boxes after the lunch. No amount of threatening worked, he simply refused to budge.

Most of the days he would skip lunch the result was that he would be extremely hungry in evening and would eat anything in sight. If the hunger hit hard during lunch time he sometimes opted for outside food. Both the scenarios were really bad for his health.

Finally, I decided to keep sandwiches for his lunch. He was happy. Sandwiches meant just to eat and throw the aluminum foil in the bin BUT I was not very happy about the amount of bread he was consuming. The devil spirit in me wanted to give him roti sabji and snatch away the lovely sandwiches that he was enjoying.

It was after lot of thinking that I came up with this concept of pocket roties/parathas. They are like roti rolls in an aluminum foil. All my DH had to do is to bite from the roll and once finished throw the foil in the bin. He just loved the idea and the rolls. He told me its so convenient to type from one hand and eat from the other (can you believe this guy).

One important difference that my DH noticed was that he felt much fuller with the roties than with the sandwiches. The reason why he felt full was because I used to stuff the pockets with loads of vegetable.

They are very easy to make. Just roll the roti, drop few drops of oil or ghee on the flattened dough. Then fold and press half the side, leave the top half open. Then grill on pan with few drops of oil/ghee and your roti pockets are ready. Fill them with cooked vegetable and roll in a foil. They are very easy to eat and can be easily carried in purse.

Unlike the normal roti rolls you can stuff these ones with loads of vegetable. Just slightly press the sabji inside the pocket and accumulate as much as possible.



Fold the roti and press sides of the lower half together, leave the top half open.



Grill on the pan.




While the roties are still slightly hot, you can separate the layers and create the pocket. You can use a spoon or a knife to slightly separate the layers.




Wheat -oats-bran- wheat germ roti pocket





The rolls are easy to carry and its a full meal in the pocket. Its far far better than having outside food.




Have fun with Wrap and Roll.

8 comments:

  1. OMG...these are superb..and I agree with your husband. I like to carry food that can be eaten with one hand kinds...so much neater. Clean clean..eat and throw away the wrapper...thank youuuuuuuuuuuu so much for this idea :*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heyyyy Shiva is back and so are her yummmmy recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Rads,

    I am glad that you liked the idea. OH my god, you also like to eat with one hand.

    Lots of love

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Girl,

    Yessssss I am back and so are my recipes.

    regards

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi , Long time.. this is a super idea.. just gonna lift it from here directly to my kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Soul Speaks,

    Thanks for liking the idea. Its damn convenient too.

    Have a great day ahead.

    regards

    Shiva

    ReplyDelete

Your comments motivate me to write, please do leave one.