Throughout my life I have been a rice eater. The first thing that I had to hear when starting dieting was to give up rice. It used to make me sad and miserable. I could never associate satisfaction without rice.
I got introduced to this version of rice when I was in class 12th, once I went for lunch at a punjabi friend house. The lunch was typical Rajma rice. The amazing thing was the rice felt so fluffy and light. It was then she told me that they cook rice in lot of water and then drain the starch.
After so many years when I was trying to reduce weight and not give up rice while doing so, I kind of remembered that day. But usually people just drain the starch once, I went ahead and drained it 3 times at least. Sometimes I do it 4 times.
It tastes like rice and I can enjoy it guilt free. It does not mean I over do my intake, I need to be moderate here. As I cook for 2 people I cook 2 fist of rice.
If you have not read the Rule of fist then read it here Mighty Rule of Fist
The rice really swells more then the pressure cooked or the steamed version.
It is time consuming no doubt but it is worth a try. Usually I keep it on gas while doing rest of my kitchen work.
Remember as the starch gets drained so does the nutrients, its great for adults who are trying to lose weight but NOT for kids. Compensate the nutrients lost with veggies and salad. I eat only this kind of rice.
Below are the steps to prepare this rice.
1. Take 2 fist rice in a pot and fill lots of water. Keep enough space for the water to boil.
2. Once the white froth starts coming up and water starts boiling , drain the water.
3. Again fill with the pot with water and keep it to boil.
4. You will see that the grains have started expanding. Again when the water boils and the white stuffs comes up drain.
5. Repeat the process 3 to 4 times.