Once I got a low carb diet book. The book did nothing much to my weight but introduced me to a beauty called sweet potato (also known as Shakarkand).
According to me sweet potato was supposed to be eaten during fasts (or vrats), in fact they used to be a constant feature during navratri.
Well, according to the book sweet potato has a complex carbohydrate structure. It made sense to me, when I ate it, it will gave me an extremely full feeling in my stomach.
This finally became a small mini meal for me. If I am not in a mood to do much, all I do is pop a medium size sweet potato in a microwave for 5 minutes and then sprinkle salt and black pepper on it, depending on my mood I either have it with curd or with lemon. I am happy as hell for next 2 - 3 hours.
Usually, during evening when my DH comes home me and him both have an urge for a snack along with our coffee. I came up with this version of crisps. These nests are crunchy and chew and the best part is my DH likes them (hurray!!!).
This is a good complex carbohydrate snack which is far better than biscuits and other refined stuff.
1. 1 medium or large size sweet potato. peeled and grated.
2. salt to taste.
3. black pepper to taste
4. Finely chopped green chillies.
feel free to add other spices of your choice.
1. In the grated sweet potato add salt, pepper and chillies.
2. In a sandwich toaster drop 1 drop of oil in all the section.
3. No spread the grated sweet potato mixture.
4. Again drop 1 drop of oil on all the grated stuff.
We need this small amount of oil to make them crisp and to bring in the fried texture.
5. Close the toaster for 5 minutes (do check in between). When they are nicely brown from one side flip and let them get brown on the other side.
6. Squeeze a lemon on top of the nests.
The taste is sweet and crisp with a lemony touch to it.
I have not tried this on a non stick pan, I guess the outcomes will be more or less the same.